Chemical insect fogger sparks attic fire Thursday
EDGERTON Chemical insect foggers sparked a blaze in the attic of a rural Edgerton home Thursday, authorities said.
Edgerton Fire Chief Brian Demrow said firefighters were called at 12:23 p.m. to a house at 375 Liguori Road.
Demrow said firefighters learned a resident had been trying to get rid of insects and had set off a couple cans of brand-name chemical insect fogger in the attic.
“On the can, it says it gets really hot,” Demrow said.
So hot that the foggers apparently caught wood and insulation on fire, igniting a blaze that burned part of the attic. Firefighters put about 1,500 gallons of water on the blaze to extinguish it, bringing down part of a ceiling in the process, Demrow said.
No one was hurt, but several area fire departments were called to relieve Edgerton firefighters because of the Thursday’s hot weather, Demrow said. He added the residents are temporarily displaced and staying with family.
- Officials: Woman cited for ...
By GAZETTE STAFF 04/15/13