Zerban planning second run at Ryan
KENOSHA Rob Zerban announced Wednesday that he is forming an exploratory committee to help him test the waters for a possible second run at the 1st District congressional seat.
Zerban was the Democratic challenger in last November's elections. He lost to Rep. Paul Ryan of Janesville.
The next election for the House of Representatives is November 2014.
Zerban told The Gazette last month that this announcement was forthcoming.
A Zerban spokesman said the paperwork to create the committee has been filed with the Federal Election Commission, but no members have been named.
The next steps are to acquire members and raise money, said spokesman Al Benninghoff.
Raising money for exploratory purposes is allowed under federal rules.
"Since the election, I have been inundated with phone calls and emails from people all over the 1st District urging me to come forward again to give the people of southeast Wisconsin a viable alternative to Paul Ryan," Zerban said in a news release. "I've been listening to people from Janesville to Racine talk about their need for jobs and economic security, good schools and fair pay, and a strong social safety net for the hardships life sometimes throws our way. The formation of this exploratory committee is simply a formalizing of that process of listening to my friends and neighbors."
Zerban also took a swipe at Ryan's prominent role in developing the Republican budget.
"My hope is that, over the next few months, we will begin to have a conversation about what the people of the Wisconsin's 1st District really want: a secure future, not federal austerity," Zerban's news release said.