Cullen: I-90/39 project on track
JANESVILLE--A state lawmaker who represents Rock County said he has been assured that the planned Interstate 90/39 expansion project will go on as scheduled, at least through the middle of 2015.
Reports surfaced last week that the state Department of Transportation had requested a two-year delay in the project, which will widen the Interstate from two lanes in each direction to three lanes in each direction from the Illinois state line to the Beltline in Madison.
A portion of the route, primarily through Janesville, has been planned for widening from two lanes in each direction to four. Construction has been set to start in 2015 with an expected completion date of 2021.
State Sen. Tim Cullen, D-Janesville, said he heard the reports on the delay, became concerned and approached transportation officials for an explanation.
He said he was assured the 45-mile project would continue on its established timeline based on funding projections for the 2013-15 budget, which Gov. Scott Walker likely will unveil in February.
For a full story, read Friday’s Gazette, read online in the Gazette’s E-Edition or check back at GazetteXtra.com.