Janesville family displaced by New Year’s Eve house fire
JANESVILLE—The Janesville Fire Department reports that six people were displaced after a vehicle fire in a garage did heavy damage to a home on Janesville’s south side earlier this week.
According to a Janesville Fire Department report, firefighters were called at about 4 p.m. Monday to a ranch-style home at 2114 Polk St., Janesville, where a vehicle was on fire in the attached garage.
When firefighters arrived, the garage was engulfed in flames. Firefighters said the fire then spread to the residence, causing about $60,000 in structural damage and about $5,000 in damage to property, according to the report.
The owners of the home, Tim and Sandy Peterson, and four other family members were displaced. The family has made arrangements for temporary shelter, according to the report.